Military Air Transport
Military air transport comprises of the use of military aircraft and other flying machines in warfare. This also includes the use of military airlift of cargo to supplement the national interests. This article chiefly focuses on military aviation and its role today. Read on to know in detail about military air transportation.
During any war, the strategic air power of a nation is demonstrated by its capacity to bomb the enemy resources. The fighter aircraft battle for control of the air space with the direct support of ground units. The main task of military airline transport is to report and implement air operation against any air, sea, or land based invasion.
With the beginning of the 18th century, simple balloons were used as surveillance aircraft. But over the years, to meet the ever increasing capability requirements and demand, military air transport has been built. The manufacturers of military aircraft try to win contracts and the aircraft are selected based on some decisive factors like cost, performance, and the speed of production. Today, there are many types of military air transportation, but the most basic types of military aircraft are bombers, fighters, Fighter bombers, Spotter planes, transports, patrol aircraft, trainers, and reconnaissance and observation aircraft. The Lockheed SR-71 remains unmatched in many areas of performance.
Here are some different kinds of military aviation in use today:
• Fighter aircraft: The main function is to destroy other aircraft. Some examples are Sopwith Camel, A6M Zero, F-15, MiG-29, Su-27, F-22.
• Ground attack aircraft: These are used against tactical earth-bound targets.For exmaple. Junkers Stuka dive bomber, A-10 Warthog, Ilyushin Il-2, J-22 Orao, and Sukhoi Su-25.
• Bombers: These military aircraft are generally used against more strategic targets, such as factories and oil fields. Some examples are Zeppelin, B-29 Superfortress, Tu-95, Dassault Mirage IV, and the B-52 Stratofortress.
• Cargo transport aircraft: These military air transports are used to transport hardware and personnel, such as the C-17 Globemaster III or C-130 Hercules.
• Projectiles as part of military aviation are used for goods only, which are explosives normally, but foralso things like leaflets.
• Surveillance aircraft are used for reconnaissance. Some examples areRumpler Taube, de Havilland Mosquito, U-2, and MiG-25R.
• Helicopters form an important part of military air transportation and are used for assault support, cargo transport and close air support. Examples are.AH-64, Mi-24.